The Alfa Romeo 1900 was introduced in 1950 as a saloon. It was an important car for Alfa, being the company’s first car built on a production line and first production car without a separate chassis. It was also the first Alfa Romeo offered with left-hand drive. The coupé version was introduced as a GT for privateers to race.
The C suffix indicated Carrozzieri, meaning a chassis for coachbuilders. Touring built the majority of coupé production, but Pininfarina created its own interpretation of the 1900, building a series of 100 vehicles between 1952 and 1953. The example here was manufactured in October 1953.