The Lancia Appia was introduced in 1953 as the replacement for the Lancia Ardea. These cars had 1,089 cc V-4 engines with Weber carburettor and four-speed manual transmission.
The second series came out in 1956, with a power increase from 38bhp to 43bhp and a top speed approaching 80mph.
With the second series, the Appia started to be clothed by specialist coachbuilders such as Pininfarina, Vignale and Zagato, on an uprated chassis with 53bhp.
The Zagato coupés were unusual in that they were never sold directly by Lancia, and were sometimes referred to as “Out of Series” models.